Prospective Distant Learners
Do you think you want to try distance education? If so, you are in good company. Today, millions of college students study online and more than one-quarter of all higher education students will take at least one online course.
Let's make sure online courses are right for you. Do you have the needed time management skills and motivation? Does online delivery match your learning style preferences? Do you have the basic computer skills and the right equipment? Use the resources at these links to answer these questions and more:
The next step is choosing your courses. Do you think you could complete a history course faster than a math course? Do you want courses with set deadlines or could you work at your own pace? Ask yourself these questions to select the best options for you.
Do I need 8, 10, 12, or 16 weeks to take this course?
All CTC courses have start and end dates. The lengths of the courses vary between 8 and 16 weeks, but the content is the same. See our Online Schedule
Do I want to work at my own pace, or do I need the instructor's help in getting work in on time?
CTC offers scheduling options to meet your needs. Some course sections may be scheduled as self paced. Choose a self-paced course if you can set up and adhere to a schedule for completing your coursework. Your instructor may provide suggested deadlines to assist you, but it is your responsibility to ensure that you keep up with your work and demonstrate consistent progress throughout the course. You may be withdrawn for failure to do so.
Am I signing up for the types of courses I think I am?
See WebAdvisor for details about the courses you choose. If you are GoArmyEd, explore the GoArmyEd portal.
Be sure that you know
- The length of the course (you may need to count the time from the start to the end date).
- The delivery mode, i.e., online, blended, or MultiMedia (MM).
- Whether the online course is self-paced or not self-paced
- How to interpret WebAdvisor/GoArmyEd codes:
- Online not self-paced
- WebAdvisor says "Online Lecture Days to be Announced, Times to be Announced, Room to be Announced"
- GoArmyEd instruction mode says "DL - Online"
- Online self-paced
- WebAdvisor says "Online S-Paced Lec Days to be Announced, Times to be Announced, Room to be Announced"
- GoArmyEd instruction mode says "DL - Self Paced"
- Offline (MM)
- WebAdvisor says "CD-ROM* Lecture Days to be Announced, Times to be Announced, Room to be Announced" *Note that "CD-ROM" may change to "Multimedia."
- GoArmyEd instruction mode says "DL - Multimedia/Blended"
What are my responsibilities while taking a distance education course?
Prepare by reviewing the Distance Education Orientation and the Distance Learner Handbook and acquiring your course materials (link to http://www.ctcd.edu/im/im_main.asp ) before class starts.
- Initiate contact with your instructor during the first week of class.
- Maintain communication with your instructor.
- Arrange for a test proctor if proctored exams are required.
- Participate in class frequently.
- Submit assignments in accordance with the assigned or proposed schedule.
- Complete all course work on or before the last day of class.
- Take all examinations in order, with time between each exam.
Would you like to view a sample course? Contact email@example.com for access. Put Sample Blackboard Course in the subject line.
For information about admissions, course registration, financial aid, and other general topics not specific to Distance Education, please refer to the CTC website at http://www.ctcd.edu or email firstname.lastname@example.org.